Sunday, March 8, 2009

Sissy's Tree


When I was a small child, my step-sister passed away in a car accident. Someone sent a beautiful Norfolk Island Pine to her funeral and it ended up coming to our house. That Christmas, we decorated it with ornaments. That started a tradition and for many years, we decorated it each Christmas. We called it "Sissy's Tree" and my sister Virginia and I looked forward to decorating it each year.
I hadn't seen one of these trees (I assume it's actually a plant, but I'm gonna call it a tree) in many years. Just a few days before Christmas, John and I come across these beautiful trees and I told him the story of my sister. Having the wonderful husband that I have been blessed with, I ended up with one of these trees for Christmas.
Well, to keep a tradition of my family and to start a new tradition with John and Emalyn, we are now decorating our new Sissy's Tree for each holiday (or almost each holiday). We didn't decorate for Valentine's Day, so we are starting the decorating with Easter. As you can see, Emalyn really got into it and enjoyed it. I hope this is something that her, her daddy and I can enjoy for many years to come.

No comments: